Friday, July 8, 2016

Do Love and You May Live!



15th Sunday in Ordinary Time
July 10, 2016
Luke 10:25-37

“Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? (Luk 10:25)”

The scholars of the Law were representing the intellectual elite in Jewish society at the time of Jesus. While the rest of Jewish people were struggling to fill their stomach and living in bare necessity, this group had a rare access to good education. We may reasonably suspect that the scholars were affluent enough to read and study the Torah extensively and undisturbed. Compared to the ordinary Jews, they were experts with the details and interpretation of the Law. No wonder, they could easily develop the vice of pride. 

Luke described the scholar as one who ‘stood up’ and ‘test’ Jesus. Clearly, he came out with his intellectual superiority and confronted Jesus to prove that he was far better than Him. He might think, “Son of carpenter; he knows nothing!” But, his pride brought him nothing but defeat. He attacked Jesus with the most difficult question he had in his arsenal. “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Yet, Jesus was aware of his intention. Jesus reminded him that the answer laid at the very heart of Torah itself, and allowed him to answer for himself. “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself (Deu 6:5).” The answer was so simple yet true that every Jew who were with Jesus, would immediately give their nod, and perhaps their little victorious smile. 

Refusing to accept his defeat, the scholar made a last-ditch attempt to justify himself. He asked Jesus who is this ‘neighbor’ he had to love. With His ingenuity and wit, Jesus then presented him one of the loveliest parables ever told: the Good Samaritan. To love means to love radically. To love means to do good even to those who do not deserve our love. Yet, the genius of Jesus is not only to force the scholar to acknowledge his defeat, but He allowed the scholar to reflect on his life's deeper purpose as a Jew.

At times, we are so confident with ourselves. We feel we know a lot. We engage in discussion and debate on various issues in the Church and society. We take sides, either on the progressive team or conservative group, and fight endlessly. We learn theology, spirituality and leadership, and we feel we are better than the rest of Church. We serve a particular ministry for so long, that we look down at newcomers in the group. Unconsciously, we become like this scholar of the Law who stands up and puts other into test. I confess also at times, I manifest this prideful attitude. When I teach, I often project myself as the all-knowing teacher and throw the hardest questions to my students. It gives a sense of pleasure when I know I am the only one who can answer the questions. Lord, have mercy on me!

Yet, Jesus reminds us today a simple yet fundamental truth: pride only brings defeat, only humility can bring us eternal life. And this humility can be best practiced in love. To borrow the words of St. Paul, “And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing (1 Cor 13:2-3).”

Br. Valentinus Bayuhadi Ruseno, OP

No comments:

Post a Comment