Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Happy Ending



33rd Sunday in the Ordinary Time
November 15, 2015
Mark 13:24-32

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away (Mrk 13:31).”

One of my greatest joys in the Order is to teach. I am happy because I am currently teaching Ecclesiology – study of the Church – at the Angelicum College, and the Old Testament at the Holy Rosary College Foundation, both are in Metro Manila. Surely, the task of teaching is never easy. I need to prepare the lessons and do my research. Even I need to crack my head to find ways in explaining the mysteries of faith like the Holy Trinity and the Covenant, so that my students can easily comprehend them. The teaching ministry is not a joke, yet after the class, I often smile because I feel a sense of purpose and profound joy deep inside. However, I am aware that my present teaching apostolate will not last forever. Perhaps, my superiors shall send me for mission in Timbuktu or a long vacation in Bali. Whatever the reason is, it is going to end. The awareness surely gives me feeling of discomfort and sadness because the best part of my life will be taken away from me.

Anything what we do, anything who we are now has a beginning as well as an end. We may be passionate educators or successful entrepreneurs, yet we need to retire someday. We may be care-free and happy young men, but lives will change when we commit ourselves into marriage and receive our firstborn child. We become fulfilled parents with beautiful and smart kids, but someday, when our children grow up and independent, our identity as parents shall be shaken and grope for another identity. Finally, all our success, achievement, and glory will be taken away when we reach our final moment. We are sad, afraid and confused, yet it is unavoidable.

Today’s Gospel portrays how our world is going to end. The graphic images of the cosmic apocalypse are frightening, but its finale is truly a good news because instead chaos, there is the Way, instead total darkness, there is the Light, and instead nothingness, there is the Life. It is a happy ending because there is Jesus. He himself assured us that all things will pass away, but His Word will last. Jesus does not only teach us to embrace our various finish lines in lives with courage and gratitude, but He is really there together with us. 

If we are away from our native land to work, Jesus also left Nazareth to preach. If we need to terminate our works, Jesus had to stop his profession as carpenter and began proclaiming the Kingdom. If we are losing our friends, Jesus was deserted by His trusted friends as well. Eventually, when we have to face our final end, we know Jesus embraced His brutal death on the cross. Now if we believe in Jesus who was dying and buried in darkest tomb, we believe also that together with Jesus, we will resurrect. Only in Jesus, many ends in our lives truly find their fresh and vibrant meaning.

There is a story of one little wave that enjoys its existence, playing and having fun with other waves. Yet, it sees that all waves, big or small, will finally go to the coast and crush themselves on the rocks. He slows down in fear. His nervous motions get noticed by one big wave and he says to the little wave, “Why are you afraid?” He replies, “I am going to crush myself to the rock and I am going to die.” The big wave then explains, “You don’t understand. Do you? We are not single isolated wave here. We are always parts of the ocean.” Everything will end, but we know all will find a happy ending because Jesus is with us.

Br. Valentinus Bayuhadi Ruseno, OP

No comments:

Post a Comment